Ford 4.6l Windsor engine F-150 trucks come in all types of body styles. Roadmaster can supply you with the rebuilt 1997-2004 4.6L, 2 valve, VIN 6 long block engine to repower whichever Ford truck you have for only $2390 exchange.
The Windsor Engine Plant, along with the Romeo Plant, is producing a 4.6L 2V engine for oil cooler some vehicles. Therefore there are several differences between the Ford 4.6l Windsor engine and the Natural Gas Vehicle (NGV) Romeo 4.6L 2V engine. And many parts are not interchangeable.
While servicing a 4.6L engine, it is rather important that the engine is properly identified as being either a Ford 4.6l Windsor engine or a Romeo 4.6L 2V engine. Hence, failure to use the correct service procedures or service parts may result in improper repairs.
FORD 4.6L WINDSOR ENGINE VIN NUMBER
In addition, the engine code is in the 8th position of the VIN, as follows:
- W for the Romeo 4.6L 2V engine
- 6 for the Windsor 4.6L 2V engine
- 9 for the Romeo 4.6L 2V NGV engine
Cam cover fasteners (bolts)
- The RH cam cover on the Romeo 4.6L 2V engine has eleven (11) bolts
- The RH cam cover on the Windsor 4.6L 2V engine has fourteen (14) bolts
Also, there is the letter “W” embossed on each Windsor engine cam cover, in the area of the camshaft sprockets.
The engine build code label on the RH cam cover, as follows:
PASSENGER CAR ISSUE
- 6G 804 AA or AB – Romeo 4.6L 2V engine
- 6G 808 AA or AB – Romeo 4.6L 2V engine
- 6G 866 AA or AB – Romeo 4.6L 2V engine
- 6G 926 AA – Windsor 4.6L 2V
LIGHT TRUCK ACTION
- 6G 840 AA – Romeo 4.6L 2V engine
- 6G 870 AA – Windsor 4.6L 2V engine
- 6G 871 AA – Windsor 4.6L 2V engine
FORD 4.6l WINDSOR ENGINE INTERNAL DIFFERENCES
- Main Bearings – the Ford 4.6l Windsor engine has larger main bearing caps than the Romeo built 4.6L. Also, the Windsor built engine uses dowels between the main bearing caps and the block The Romeo built 4.6L uses jack screws between the main bearing caps and the block
- Connecting Rods – the Ford 4.6l Windsor engine uses a larger connecting rod and has a full floating piston pin with two (2) retainers The Romeo built 4.6L engine uses a press fit piston pin without retainers
- Camshaft Sprockets – furthermore the Ford 4.6l Windsor engine uses an interference fit between the camshaft sprocket and camshaft to secure the camshaft sprocket, and has individual camshaft bearing caps. Therefore Romeo built 4.6L engine uses a bolt and spacer to secure the camshaft sprocket.
- Head Casting – the Romeo built 4.6L engine has an oil feed reservoir and utilizes a ladder style cam cap. The Ford 4.6l Windsor engine has no oil feed reservoir in the head and uses single cam caps.
Furthermore this remanufactured engine includes the front cover and oil pan installed. Also with a 3 year/100,000 miles warranty, you won’t find a better deal on the web.
Satisfaction and peace of mind is what you experience when buying from Roadmaster. You won’t find better customer service and the thoroughness we offer to make sure what you’re looking for is correct. We know that’s what you expect. Buy from Roadmaster and you won’t be disappointed.
Contact us at 800-447-9899 or email us with your questions and requests.
In addition take a look at our dependable remanufactured engine process.
Furthermore, feel free to leave a comment. Share us as well!
Subscribe to our blogs and keep up with Technical Bulletins, Car Care Tips, engines and transmissions: