The AERA Technical Committee offers the following information on backfire, kickback, hard or no start during crank/start for 1995-2000 GM 4.3, 5.0, 5.7 & 7.4L engines. These engines are used in pickup trucks and sports utility vehicles. Customers with this condition may have any of the combinations listed below. If the condition exists and you have a stored DTC code P0338 and it does not illuminate the service engine soon light, you must replace the crankshaft position sensor with Part #10456607.
- Backfire during crank/start.
- Kickback during crank/start.
- No start.
- Slow or hard crank/start.
- Grinding or unusual noises during Crank/start.
- Cracked or broken engine block at the starter boss.
- Broken starter drive housing.
- Broken starter ring gear on flywheel.
A condition may exist that allows the crankshaft position sensor to command 50 degrees of extra initial spark advance during crank/start position. This exposes the engine to higher than normal cylinder pressures, which may result in an inoperative condition.
Take a look at our dependable remanufactured engines process.
Contact us at 800-447-9899 or email us for information you need.
Follow us on our Facebook page.
Furthermore, feel free to leave a comment. Share us as well!