The AERA Technical Committee offers the following information on a revised cylinder head installation procedure for 1999-2002 GM 4.8 5.3 6.0L VIN V, T, Z, S, U & N engines. This procedure should be used any time the cylinder head is being installed and supersedes information found in earlier published service manuals.
Previously, it was published in service information that it was acceptable to reuse the 8 mm cylinder head bolts. It is now recommended all cylinder head bolts should be replaced at the time of cylinder head installation. The new 11 mm bolts come with a pre-applied sealer and lubricant and no other sealant should be used on them.
1. Tighten new 11 mm bolts (1-10) in sequence to 22 ft/lbs (30 Nm).
2. Rotate those bolts (1-10) in sequence an additional 90° turn using a torque angle meter.
3. Rotate only bolts 1-8 in sequence an additional 90° turn using a torque angle meter.
4. Rotate remaining 11 mm bolts 9 & 10 in sequence an additional 50° turn using a torque angle meter.
5. Apply a .200″ (5 mm) bead of locking compound (GM P/N 12345382 or equivalent) to the new 8 mm bolt threads, and tighten bolts (11-15) in sequence to 22 ft/lbs (30 Nm).
Note: Do not re-use either the 8mm or 11mm head bolts.
The AERA Technical Committee
Satisfaction and peace of mind is what you experience when buying from Roadmaster. You won’t find better customer service and the thoroughness we offer to make sure what you’re looking for is correct. We know that’s what you expect. Buy from Roadmaster and you won’t be disappointed.
Contact us at 800-447-9899 or email us with your questions and requests.
In addition take a look at our dependable remanufactured engine process.
Furthermore, feel free to leave a comment. Share us as well!
Subscribe to our blogs and keep up with Technical Bulletins, Car Care Tips, engines and transmissions: